Sunday, November 2, 2014

Twisted Gingerbread; Ohio Historic Architectural Detail; Colebrook Town Hall

Colebrook Town Hall, Colebrook, OH. photo credit: SAL
In one of the most obscure corners in the State of Ohio, I found myself spending time gawking at this simple, beautiful historic building. The Colebrook Town Hall, circa 1870, is a modest building with some of the most striking architectural detail I have seen to date whether in Ohio or elsewhere. Indeed, I fell in love with this building immediately. The three-dimensionality in detail is the kind of elegance that I believe we, as architects, should strive to emulate or at least to be inspired.



In 1870, when architectural details were copied, I find it hard to believe that this detail was copied from any other building. Again, it differs greatly from the two-dimensional gingerbread we all know so well. Since the town hall is located at a little known crossroads in northeastern rural Ohio, I doubt it was ever copied either. The town of Colebrook has only a slim population of just under 1,000 people. Kuddos to the people of this small, historic town who have lovingly preserved their civic building. I wish I could have met the architect who came up with a twist on gingerbread.

The curviture of the wooden, architectural detail casts a seductive series of shadows on the eave.




The corner transition again is brilliant. A simple, powerful detail like this can make the building.



Corner transition again.





I would love to know who the architect was that created this building.
I have never and will likely never again see detail like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment